Wednesday, August 9, 2017

New Edition = Renewed Interest

Long time no see everyone.  Followers may be surprised to see a blog post pop up after such a long time.  I was just going over my Blog and I started it six years ago yesterday.  That seems like forever ago.  So let me explain my extended absence.

I had jumped in with two feet with Genestealer Cults.  I have always loved the fluff and couldn't pass up using the new miniatures.  I had a lot of success with them but felt slighted by the fact that a new edition was coming out shortly after I had started them.  I had written off 40K but as always it sucks me back in.

I have been hearing nothing but good things about Astra Militarum.  More specifically, Infantry was ruling the battlefield again.  I could think of no better excuse to dust off my Praetorians and get them back into the fight.  I will need to crank out about 50 more infantry and rough riders to complete my proposed list.  I am posting it here for your input.  It is a Brigade Formation for the +9 Command Points.  All Keyword Praetorian.  The equipment on the characters is WYSIWYG not what I think is most effective.  Let me know what you think.

Company Commander- Plasma Pistol, Power Sword
Company Commander- Boltgun, Chainsword
Tank Commander- Punisher Cannon, Lascannon, Heavy Bolter

Command Squad- Regimental Standard, Medipack, 2x Plasmagun
Commissar- Plasma Pistol
Commissar- Plasma Pistol
Commissar- Power Fist
Ratlings- 5x Sniper Rifles
Ratlings- 5x Sniper Rifles

Infantry Squad- Plasmagun, Heavy Bolter
Infantry Squad- Plasmagun, Heavy Bolter
Infantry Squad- Plasmagun, Heavy Bolter
Conscripts- 25x Lasguns
Conscripts- 25x Lasguns
Conscripts- 25x Lasguns

Leman Russ- Lascannon, Heavy Bolters
Leman Russ- Lascannon, Heavy Bolters
Heavy Weapons Team- 3x Heavy Bolters

Scout Sentinels- 3x Heavy Flamer
Rough Riders- 5x Hunting Lance
Rough Riders- 5x Hunting Lance

That comes to just under 1500 points so there is some room to change up equipment.  I can't wait to get it onto the field.  Any insight or tips are greatly appreciated.  

3 comments:

  1. Great to have you back! Having only played one game of 8Ed, I can heartily recommend heavy flamers as sponson weapons. Those automatic hits are great when your tanks get charged and you try to snap shoot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I am no expert on 8th tactics but in the few games I have played (Praetorians of course) I am finding a squad of 10 ratlings more useful that 5. Given their low leadership it seems like 5 would be better but a small unit never really does that much where as 10 can be a considerable pest.
    I might be wrong here but I think you can use key word Imperial as your Brigade Formation key word... not that it matters to much. Also Ratlings don't have a regiment so can't be key word Praetorian.
    Rough riders are great BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does that mean I can't take Ratlings, Commissars, and Ogryns in the Brigade Formation? That may change my list dramatically? On the flip side of that coin, Can I take Pask in the Brigade Formation if I do all my tanks and all my infantry ?

    ReplyDelete