Wednesday, August 9, 2017

New Edition = Renewed Interest

Long time no see everyone.  Followers may be surprised to see a blog post pop up after such a long time.  I was just going over my Blog and I started it six years ago yesterday.  That seems like forever ago.  So let me explain my extended absence.

I had jumped in with two feet with Genestealer Cults.  I have always loved the fluff and couldn't pass up using the new miniatures.  I had a lot of success with them but felt slighted by the fact that a new edition was coming out shortly after I had started them.  I had written off 40K but as always it sucks me back in.

I have been hearing nothing but good things about Astra Militarum.  More specifically, Infantry was ruling the battlefield again.  I could think of no better excuse to dust off my Praetorians and get them back into the fight.  I will need to crank out about 50 more infantry and rough riders to complete my proposed list.  I am posting it here for your input.  It is a Brigade Formation for the +9 Command Points.  All Keyword Praetorian.  The equipment on the characters is WYSIWYG not what I think is most effective.  Let me know what you think.

Company Commander- Plasma Pistol, Power Sword
Company Commander- Boltgun, Chainsword
Tank Commander- Punisher Cannon, Lascannon, Heavy Bolter

Command Squad- Regimental Standard, Medipack, 2x Plasmagun
Commissar- Plasma Pistol
Commissar- Plasma Pistol
Commissar- Power Fist
Ratlings- 5x Sniper Rifles
Ratlings- 5x Sniper Rifles

Infantry Squad- Plasmagun, Heavy Bolter
Infantry Squad- Plasmagun, Heavy Bolter
Infantry Squad- Plasmagun, Heavy Bolter
Conscripts- 25x Lasguns
Conscripts- 25x Lasguns
Conscripts- 25x Lasguns

Leman Russ- Lascannon, Heavy Bolters
Leman Russ- Lascannon, Heavy Bolters
Heavy Weapons Team- 3x Heavy Bolters

Scout Sentinels- 3x Heavy Flamer
Rough Riders- 5x Hunting Lance
Rough Riders- 5x Hunting Lance

That comes to just under 1500 points so there is some room to change up equipment.  I can't wait to get it onto the field.  Any insight or tips are greatly appreciated.  

5 comments:

  1. Great to have you back! Having only played one game of 8Ed, I can heartily recommend heavy flamers as sponson weapons. Those automatic hits are great when your tanks get charged and you try to snap shoot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I am no expert on 8th tactics but in the few games I have played (Praetorians of course) I am finding a squad of 10 ratlings more useful that 5. Given their low leadership it seems like 5 would be better but a small unit never really does that much where as 10 can be a considerable pest.
    I might be wrong here but I think you can use key word Imperial as your Brigade Formation key word... not that it matters to much. Also Ratlings don't have a regiment so can't be key word Praetorian.
    Rough riders are great BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does that mean I can't take Ratlings, Commissars, and Ogryns in the Brigade Formation? That may change my list dramatically? On the flip side of that coin, Can I take Pask in the Brigade Formation if I do all my tanks and all my infantry ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. I am sure you have worked this out now but you can take anything 'Imperial' in your Brigade formation. Anything!
      Given that Ratlings, Commissars, Ogryns, storm troopers etc are not'regiment Praetoria' just means they can't take orders or benefit from things that specify "(regiment)". Not a massive

      Delete