Monday, August 5, 2019

New Conversions and Army Pic

Hello everyone!! It has been a super long time since I posted.  The Army has sat for a while and I haven't had a game in nearly two years.  But like every good hobby, 40K has come back full circle and I am wanting to work on my Praetorians again.  Just to get the juices flowing I started with a few conversions.

The first is my final decision for Plasma Gunner which I never posted after I reached out for opinions.  Unfortunately there are no WIP pics but you should be able to figure it out from the primed model.  It's base is a flamer model.  I trimmed the nozzel and just above the left hand, keeping the grip.  Then I trimmed a plasma pistol and it slotted in place very nicely.
Plasma Gunner converted from Flamer.  It is a really good fit and should look nice painted up.

Rear view.  These are part of my Veteran Squads and have backpacks from Victoria Lamb.
Next are my snipers.  This was a super easy conversion.  I just snipped the barrel off the gun in front of the left hand and just below the sight.  I snipped a ten-penny nail to a lenght I thought was aesthetically pleasing and just glued it on.  It is a little fragile but I am hoping after painting and varnishing it will hold pretty well.

I like that the head of the nail gives it a muzzle. 
These will be painted in the same green with red trim as my Ratling Snipers

The last conversions are some Regimental Standard Bearers.  The traditional standard bearer is good and he will be carry the Emperor's Colors, but his pose is too static and I didn't want a bunch of them in my army.  I used the following figures because they were more dynamic.  For the model on the right I clipped the right hands of the old standard bearer and the new model and just glued it on.  For the one on the left I just trimmed the top and bottom off the banner and glued it to the fist of the model.  These will be my "Company Standard" Bearers.
Company Standard Bearers

The enemy will never see them from this angle!
And last but not least is a photo of my new army.  They say go big or go home.  This is a 2000 point all infantry army.  As you can see only about 1/3 of it is painted.  It is a little bit of a daunting task, but I think it will look awesome when complete.  Feel free to give comments and suggestions.  Here's to new blogs.... Cheers.
Some of the Emperor's Finest Footsloggers!!


  1. The plasma gun conversion is basically how I did my conversions to, although I used a plastic flamer as the base and took off the fuel tank as well, once painted up they look the part.

    As for painting I have always found that batch painting the base colours, top, trousers and boots and then focusing on a few models at a time is the best way to get through things.

  2. Thanks for the input. I thought about removing the fuel tank but was afraid I would be able to cover it up. I like to imagine it is some prototype Plasmagun that keeps plasma fuel separate from the reaction chamber in an attempt to avoid overheating and explosions.

    As for the batch painting, I have a pretty good system and can crank out squads pretty fast. I outline it elsewhere in my blog. The hardest part is just finding the time to actually sit and paint.

    By the way, I really enjoyed the Guard vs. GSC BatRep. Keep it up.

  3. Simple but effective conversions on the Standard Bearers. They look really good.

    1. Thanks. I plan to use the Scion Banner as my Regimental Standard. I am going to replace the skull with a pith helmet and the Union Jack will be on the other side.