Monday, January 28, 2013

Praetorian "Speed Painting" Tutorial (pic heavy)

As promised here is the technique I use to paint my Praetorians.  In just over a month I have painted 55 infantry and 12 tanks (4 of them are still waiting washes and clearcoat).  I am working on an Aegis defense line line that should be done Tuesday night.  Without further ado here we go
Bare Metal Mini cleaned of mold lines

Mini Primed White
Base Coat Applied (Blood Red, Mordian Blue, Chaos Black, Skull White, Iyandan Dark Sun, Mournfang Brown, Mithril Silver, Elf Flesh/Tallarn Flesh Mix).  I work one color at a time on between 10 to 20 models.  Do not be worried if primer can be seen in the creases.  This will be covered in a later step.
Playground Sand Glued to Base
The Secret to Speed
Do not "Dip" the Mini.  Apply the Floor Stain like you would a wash.  Spread any pooling over the rest of the model and coat the sand.  It does not take long to figure out how to do this .
Model completely covered in floor stain.  This is what the model should look like when done.  Let these models sit at least 24 hours before moving to final step.











I find that Testors Dullcoat works the best.  No cracking or whitening.



Once Dull coat is dry, paint base chaos black, drybrush the sand (vomit brown) and add static grass.  Your model is now complete.
I hope this answers your questions.  I know some people are purists and opponents to the "Dip" method.  I find that it works really well with the color pallette and gives me a good level of detail in a very timely manner.  If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.  I hope this gets you all motivated.



No comments:

Post a Comment